“Stockholm In My Heart
Let me berhyme you now,
Aged In youthful verdure,
City of islands, it’s you!
Of the cities I know in the world
Are you the city with everything
By Mälaren’s love of the sea
A mixture of fresh and salt”
Returning to Stockholm is always a pleasure for me – doesn’t matter what time of the year it’s. Stockholm is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, laying on its 14 island – founded 1252 – surrounded with endless number of bridges and water, also given the name …. Venice of the North.
48 hours I spent in the center of Stockholm on my own, when my friend Anna-Lisa left for a skiing week with her granddaughters – I checked in at a hotel in the middle of the city center.
An unmanned hotel – a Finish hotel chain – Omena Hotel. It worked excellent – because I hardly use hotel services anyhow. Cheap, comfortable and very clean with a great breakfast buffet served at the restaurant in the building. Fantastic!! I will stay there again, only 12 min walk to the Central station and the airport trains and buses, on Torsgatan. Got door code and room allocation by text in the morning of arrival. Loved it.
We had 36 hours of soft beautiful winter while I stayed with Anna-Liisa, but it rained away in less than 8 hours. That was it. Wasn’t luck with the sun up there niehter – thick overcast every day.
I flew up from Copenhagen and I took the “high speed” train back home so far as Lund and then the local train to Landskrona. Excellent service, but I wouldn’t call it high speed .. because we were 1 hour late to Lund.
Highlights of my 48 hours in Stockholm this time???? Beacause Stockholm’s gives new highlights everything I visit.
• Michael Bublé alive at the fantastic Ericsson Globe Arena – the reason I stayed behind in Stockholm after Anna-Liisa had left.
• Meeting up with my old friend Bodil, that I haven’t seen for 7 years nearly – a long lunch with loads of talking, laughing and catching up.
• The walkabout in the Old Town – Gamla Stan – the city between the bridges. Taking a closer look at the Royal castle.
• My hours at the open market at Hötorget and the Market Hall.
• Stockholm Central Station – a magnificent old building – a town in itself with all the old features and all the modern service, massive station and very well organized.
• And my fantastic Sunday lunch at the cozy restaurant “Agaton” in Gamla stan.
This time I decied to make a post of one or two highlight it’s own – because I can’t concentrate long enough for a giving everything away at once, have been trying time after time – and it doesn’t add up for me.
“The camera makes everyone a tourist in other people’s reality,
and eventually in one’s own.”
Why not join the challenge – for all details click on this link; One Trip Every Month Challenge.
As cloud for this post I have chocen a Swedish song about Stockholm, called “Stockholm I Mitt Hjärta” – Stockholm In My Heart. Can’t be more suitable, because I carry Stockholm in my heart. See you soon with more words and photos.