This recipe I found a magazine, ”New Woman” for about 10 years ago .. and with a bit of coup against one my colleagues I manage to get this dessert on our cooperate menu (we toke the decision while he was on the gents) and I think it became one of the most memorable dishes we ever did, both for guest and staff (reasons vary). Still do it for my friends and it’s a winner with everybody … be careful with all the leftover bits – they really fill you up.
Have tried to do this in indv. dishes .. but it became to dry for my taste.
6 croissants, day’s old
400 ml standard milk
400 double cream
200 gr sugar
1 vanilla pod – cut lengthways
6 egg yolks
3 whole egg
30 gr sultanas
20 gr butter – melted
150 gr white chocolate, in pieces
45 ml whiskey
Pre-heat oven 180C degrees, baking time 40 min, 6 portions
1. Slice the croissants in 3 slice – place them in a greased baking tin – overlapping. It has to look bulky.
2. Sprinkle the sultanas over the croissants and drizzle the melted butter over.
3. Whisk to together eggs, egg yolks and sugar.
4. Pour the milk and cream to a pan with the vanilla pod with a lengthways cut – gradually bring to the boil for 5 min. Remove from the heat to cool down a bit.
5. Pick up the vanilla pod, place on a grease proof paper (so the vanilla is easier to be transferred back to the milk/cream mixture) – open up and scrape the vanilla out and put back to milk/cream.
6. Stir in the egg mixture into the milk/cream and add the chocolate – stir until all the chocolate has dissolved. Add whiskey.
7. Strain the mixture over the croissants through a chinos – the mixture have to be above the croissants. Cover with folio.
8. Bake for 25 min, until almost se then remove the folio for the last 10 min .. to get the crust without burning.
9. Has to be cold when being cut out. I use a special high pastry cutter – a high coffee mug will work too. Dip it in cold water between every portion cutout.
When it comes to serving I cheat – buy ready made custard that I mix with ready made chocolate sauce. Use that as the base under the “pudding” and on top of the pudding I place a ball of high quality vanilla ice cream.
As one our guest that said .. .. – it’s better then the sex I had last night!
photo provided by: fickr.com