A while since I posted one of my favorite recipes – so here I’m with one. Even if I like pasta very much is it not something I eat very often, neither at home or dining out. Don’t think I had pasta once during my 27 days trip to US & Canada in July. Yes, I did – twice in Seattle – as a starter (SPUR Gastro Pub) and a main (Tavolàta). Don’t really know why, because I really like pasta.
You how knows me …. by now, know that I don’t like fussy food and food that takes long time to cook – I’m what I call, a lonely diner. So I got my USB out and here it’s.
Had everything at home except the fresh spinach – the bacon from the freezer and I used crème fraîche - cook-able 34% fat, instead of the double cream I normally use – didn’t have any at home. Pasta with Bacon and Wilted Spinach, serve 4
450g/1lb dried spaghetti, tagliatelle or linguine
salt & freshly ground balck pepper
60ml (4tbsp) olive oil
8 slices pancetta or streaky bacon, diced or chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
900gr/2lb fresh spinach, stalks removed
150ml/1/4 pint double cream
freshly ground nutmeg
45ml (3tbsp) pine nuts, roasted
1. Toast the pine nut in a dry frying pan on very high heat – shake the pan all the time until the nuts are nicely toasted – put to the side.
2. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente.
3. Meanwhile heat the oil in a large pan, add the pancetta or bacon, fry until just turning golden then add the garlic and cook for about 1 min.
4. Stir in the spinach and cook over a very high heat for a few minutes or until the leaves just wilted – turns deep green. Pour in the cream , turning the spinach to ensure it’s well coated. Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper and nutmeg. Heat until boiling.
5. Drain the pasta and immediately toss the pasta with the hot sauce – serve with sprinkle the pine nuts and finish of with same grated Parmesan.
This a very quick dish and easy to make plus it so delicious. A bit of Italy at home in less then 20 min.
“Pasta doesn’t make you fat.
How much pasta you eat makes you fat.”
Giada De Laurentiis